What every person should know about oral cancer:
- Oral cancer has 3 times as many victims as cervical cancer.
- Sadly around 1,600 people die of mouth cancer every year.
- The incidence of oral cancer is growing.
- The biggest growth in oral cancer is among non-smokers, and the main cause is HPV.
- When oral cancer is discovered in early stages, the survival rate is very high, but when discovered late (which is normally the case), the survival rate is very low.
- Health experts recommend that all adults receive annual oral cancer screenings.
Because of this risk to your health, our practice has recently invested in a state-of-the-art VELscope® system. As part of our conventional oral cancer examination, it can literally help us discover potentially dangerous tissue that we might otherwise miss. Of course, the odds are that we won’t find anything that concerns us. But if we do, the VELscope device will increase our odds of finding it early rather than late.
An oral cancer examination with a VELscope screening takes very little time, involves no pain or inconvenience.